On Thursday, Tom completed the boxes he started on Wednesday. He made a 2 ft by 6 ft box for strawberries, a 3 ft by 6 ft box for I don't know what yet, and two 2 ft by 6 ft double deep boxes so we can plant such vegetables as long carrots and potatoes
.



I found some small car window shades at the Dollar Store and attached them to the top of dowels with a large thumb tack. When I planted the two tomato plants it was very hot and the shades worked great. Also planted snow peas in one corner and regular peas in the other. As soon as I plant the marigolds in front two corners, this box will be complete.

Tom has really taken a lot of time to level the boxes so they will look good in the yard.

Placing the last piece of weed barrier before "Mel's mix" is added.
This is a view of the deeper boxes and the 3 ft by 6 ft box. We left a small path to be able to get in to work inside by the tree because I can't reach more than two feet.
We had enough of the mix from last week to fill the strawberry box. I found some really fresh and healthy looking plants at Home Depot on Wednesday afternoon. Hope to plant them soon, but it got just too hot this afternoon.
I still haven't figures out how to get the pictures in the order I'd like, but I'm getting closer.
Here I am relaxing in the shade and contemplating all the sweet strawberries that we will be eating in the future. Then I had to go to work and thoroughly water the new box, which I will keep moist everyday until I plant, then water as needed.
Tom leveled the ground around the orange tree so we could place the new boxes in a "U" shape around the tree.


This shows the placing of the new boxes. After a lot of leveling, measuring and adjusting, then putting down the weed barrier, we placed the new boxes. (pictures are out of order)



Tom has really taken a lot of time to level the boxes so they will look good in the yard.
Placing the last piece of weed barrier before "Mel's mix" is added.
We had enough of the mix from last week to fill the strawberry box. I found some really fresh and healthy looking plants at Home Depot on Wednesday afternoon. Hope to plant them soon, but it got just too hot this afternoon.
Here I am relaxing in the shade and contemplating all the sweet strawberries that we will be eating in the future. Then I had to go to work and thoroughly water the new box, which I will keep moist everyday until I plant, then water as needed.
Good days work!!!

2 comments:
WOW and I do mean WOW you guys have really been busy. It looks great. That little green sprout is just amazing, especially in just 4 days. It'll be so fun to watch everything come up and grow grow grow. I'll bet you can almost taste that strawberry shortcake already (wink). I'm very impressed!!!!!
I wished I lived closer so I could see how things up close (he says sheepishly since he hasn't been down in awhile to see the progress first hand)
Post a Comment