Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Instant garden

Went out to Summer Winds Nursery today (senior discount on Wed.) to buy some artichoke transplants and the vegetables looked so healthy I decided to do some instant gardening.



The left photo shows me planting bell peppers and several varieties of lettuce transplants. On the right I'm planting some healthy looking strawberries because my first try was on a hot day and a lot of the plants died.

Bought a couple of artichoke starts and Tom reworked our planter boxes under the grape vines and put in Mel's mix. This is where our original artichoke plant was but it gave out.




Here's another view of the lettuce and bell peppers and in the back corner a couple of summer squash plants. Don't know how they will do but I put them back there so I could let them sprawl over the edge of the box. At the right is a much healthier looking strawberry patch.

Thought it would be fun to include a picture of some very large navel oranges on our tree located in the middle of the boxes. Must be almost two dozen on the tree this year.

Checked on the tomato plants and found several more blossoms. There's hope for a good tomato crop this fall.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I don't know if that's considered cheating or not, but whatever works right? I think that's a great idea toput the artichokes under the rose bushes. The strawberries will be nice. Your oranges will be a nice addition to your veggies. Maybe you can do a cirtus veggie salad or something. Add some of those nice "cherry" tomatoes and the oranges. (lol)