Monday, October 20, 2008

Little bit of backyard - Lots of front yard

In about 1/2 hour I had watered, picked off worms, and thinned some of the veggies, then I inspected the tomato plants for progress. Most of them have either blossoms or buds.

Tom made another batch of Mel's mix and he stored it in three large trash barrels to be ready for quick use.

Have been neglecting the front yard, so while Tom was mixing, I spent time cleaning up the flower areas in the patio. Even used the leaf blower to get all the leaves piled for easy collecting. How do you like the beatiful flowers. The flowers are fake (can't get anything to grow in the shade) and the Texas Sage is for real. Even washed down the stucco on the front of the house.










About three p.m. I went out to cut lettuce for our first garden salad. This, of course, is from the transplants (which have grown a lot). Also picked two small bell peppers and chives to put in a stir fry dinner. It was easy to remove the shade covers to be able to snip off the lettuce leaves and then put them back.

















This is the final results of my first harvest. Romaine, curly and bibb lettuce, and two small bell peppers and chives. Just thought I'd mention what fun it was to use my mother's old metal colander which is probably as old as I am.
By the way we enjoyed the salad.

2 comments:

Tomks1 said...

Our very first harvest - with many, many more to come. What a good feeling it is to enjoy something you've grown.

Nancy said...

Ahh satisfaction. That is so fun that you got to reap the rewards of your hard work. I'll bet that made it taste all the better that it came out of your own garden. Your front yard looks great too. I can't believe how much that sage has grown since I was there in September. Amazing.