Watering a square foot garden is really easy and conserves water since Mel's mix is such that it absorbs as much water as it can hold and the rest runs out the bottom. The roots can then absorb as much water as they need. By keeping the mix just moist the roots never get waterlogged. As the garden gets bigger it will take a little more time and water but right now I can hand water everything that is planted in about 1/2 an hour with 7 gallons of water

.Above, I show my gallon milk jugs lined up along the wall full of water that has been warmed by the sun. "The Book" says plants don't like cold water (just like you wouldn't like an icy shower). My method is to empty one jug into the sprinkling can and carry a second jug to the area I am watering. That way I don't have to make as many trips to the faucet. A 4 by 4 foot square take about 1 1/2 gallons.

I don't even have to remove the bird netting that covers the two domes. Just water right through it and wet the areas where seeds are germinating and where the plants are more mature I am able to water right at the base of the plant. This avoids getting the leaves wet.
Where I have covered the newly planted veggies I can reach under from all sides and water each plant.

All the bottles have been used so I line them up and fill them with the hose and then put them back in the sun to warm up. "The Book" suggests putting a large water filled bucket at each square and then simply dipping a cup in and watering each plant. May try that some day.

Just had to take another picture of the two tomato plants that are doing so well. They both have several blossoms each. Guess I won't be able to wait until next week to change the bird netting but will have to start training the plants up the trellis tomorrow.
1 comment:
OK here I am commenting on your amazing watering system. That's quite a system with all those jugs etc. I'll bet your plants love the warm sunkissed water.
Post a Comment