Sunday, October 19, 2008

Trellis training

Since the tomato plants won't stop growing I went out Saturday morning and started the trellis training. First thing I had to do is move the bird netting into the dome to release the peas and tomatoes from that covering. Fortunately, I had enough play in the netting that I could twist tie it to the square foot tape along the ground and then to the inside sides. Hope that makes sense. If you enlarge the pictures by clicking on it you can see what I did.













Next thing to do was tie the tomato vines to the trellis net, so I made some strips by cutting up old nylons. Then I gently looped the strips around the main stem and pulled it toward the net. The early girl plant had grown so much that I had to tie it in two places.
















Learned recently that if you cut off the non fruit bearing branches of a tomato plant that more growth will go into producing fruit. So I wouldn't shock the plant too much I just cut off a few that you see on the ground.







Just had to show that the hanging tomato plants are holding their own and even starting to put out buds. Click on the picture to see the tiny bud up close.





1 comment:

Nancy said...

My goodness I can't believe how much those plants are growing. All those green squares look wonderful. I'm so impressed. That hanging plant must be trying to keep up with it's pampered cousins in the boxes.