
Have kept the birds out but not the cabbage moths. Noticed the broccoli plants were being eaten up, so I went on the internet and "googled" broccoli and moths. Took a while but finally found some non insecticide methods to control the problem. One was to physically remove the worms that had hatched and the other is shown in the bottom photo. Putting egg shells around the base of the plants is supposed to trick the moths!!!

I did the first method, since I only have four plants. I took a toothpick and flicked the little pests into the plastic cup. Then I tied them into a plastic bag and took them to the trash barrel. Will have to keep doing this until there are no more. Another thing to do is put some kind of fine net (like a bridal veil) over the plants. Will probably make them look like little ghosts in the garden, but it is supposed to keep the moths out.
Fortunately, I had a lot of egg shells in my frig, since I put them back into the carton every time I use an egg. Weird, I know, but it's just a habit of mine. If this works then I'll almost believe anything.
2 comments:
Ok you crack me up. I guess there's always something to worry about. I always put my egg shells back in the carton too. I guess I know where it comes from now. I hope you win the month battle. Of course as much as I like broccoli it's not a huge loss.(lol) Keep up the good work, it's looking great.
Those are ugly-looking critters. Hopefully, they're a temporary problem. Let's mix up the other batch of "soil" in the morning. Then you'll be ready to start planting potatoes.
Post a Comment